Anyone who enjoys eating at a fast food restaurant probably knows deep down inside that not only is what they’re eating bad for them, but what goes on behind the counter at some establishments is likely not on the up and up. A recent Reddit thread has blown the lid off some interesting, and sometimes disgusting, fast food secrets. The revelations came after one user posed the question, “Fast food workers – What should we never order from you?” The inquiry was so popular it received almost 16,000 replies in just 24 hours.
Among the replies:
- A sandwich worker revealed that the “oven roasted chicken” was actually “boiled in a microwave.”
- A convenience store employee offered, “I’m gonna say any of the taquitos or hotdogs around midnight, up through about 4 or 5AM. Around midnight you can be almost assured that these are now high-mileage,” adding, “That hotdog might have more miles than your car.”
- “Anything egg-related” since, “They keep a very small amount warm after breakfast and it tends to get old fast.”
- “Don’t order something from the ‘secret menu.’ “We sure as s*** don’t know what a Snickerdoodle frappuccino is, as it is not a menu item.”
- By the same token – “Anything off of the ‘Hidden Menu.’ Most people working don’t know how to make it and you’ll probably just receive a giant glob of assorted ingredients on a bun.”
- “The only thing I can think of is that any chicken that isn’t on the bone (sandwich, pot pie, etc) is day old, or more, leftover chicken.”
- One former worker at a popular chain said the motto on French fries was “They aren’t old until they’re sold.”
- “If you see something on the menu and can’t find at least one or two other items that the ingredients could be used in, don’t order it. Since it’s not ordered too frequently, it’s not fresh and the product you’re eating might be days or weeks old.”
Will this make you think twice next time you’re at the drive thru or will you just super size it?