If you’re like me, you are kind of geeking out about the upcoming Batman VS Superman flick coming out this weekend. I’m still not sure how I feel about Ben Affleck donning the bat suit – but I’ll leave my opinion on the back burner until I see his portrayal.
Whenever there is a new person taking on a role that was previously held by someone else, there is always a need to compare them with those of the past. Let’s take a look at Superman throughout the years and determine who was the best Man Of Steel to ever wear the blue tights.
1. GEORGE REEVES – There was a guy before George, but to be honest, no one really remembers him. George was the first guy that wore the suit and made us believe that he could be…the real superman. Sure, he didn’t have bulging muscles like we see today and his suit looked a lot like pajamas – but I kinda liked the old school version of the man of steel.
2. CHRISTOPHER REEVE – This would have to be my personal favorite. Maybe it’s because Christopher Reeve was the man of steel when I was growing up or the fact that he was actually the first big screen adaptation of superman – but, to me, this is the best superman of all time. I remember the scene when Superman wanted to become a regular guy so that he could be with Lois, only to get his butt kicked in a cafe. You actually felt bad for him – which I think was what made Christopher Reeve the best…his acting.
3. DEAN CAIN – Can we just forget this even happened? I watched a little of this show – but to be honest – I wasn’t a fan. He doesn’t really look the part and he doesn’t seem to pull off the tough guy attitude that Superman needs.
4. TOM WELLING – This is the guy that wore the ‘S’ for “smallville’ on CW. Thing is, you only really saw the ‘S’ in the absolute last season of a 10 year run. That said, as a guy who played Superman in his younger years – he did a solid job and looked the part.
5. BRANDON ROUTH – So, when Superman returns came out – I was a little giddy. It had been a while since the Christopher Reeve days, so it was nice to see a reboot finally happening. Brandon Routh certainly looked the part – plus, he stopped a bullet WITH HIS EYE!! But the movie itself was kinda cheesy. And the whole, Superman has a baby thing, ya…a little too much for Superman’s return.
6. HENRY CAVILL – After seeing Man Of Steel, I was a little upset that they changed the costume and got rid of the Superman anthem that was used in the Christopher Reeve days. That said, Henry Cavill is definitely my second favorite to play the role…and could become my number 1 fav after this Batman Vs Superman flick hits theaters this weekend. He’s got the look, the special effects are waaaaaaaay better than they have been in the past and he seems believable.
So that’s pretty much the list of the main guys that have worn the red cape. Who do you think wore it best?